I was out of peanut butter the other day and in no mood to go shopping for some, but I did have a big bag of shell-roasted peanuts at home, so I tried making my own peanut butter.
I used peanuts that are roasted in their shell, so they were just slightly oily, but not too much. I added a pinch of salt, two spoons of honey and another two spoons of olive oil. I ended up adding a third spoon of oil but I stopped there because I didn’t want to make it too heavy. And that’s the butter you see in the first photo.
I used a kitchen, hand mixer, but I would guess that the stronger your mixer is, the finer the paste you’ll get. I also didn’t want to add too much oil, but you could get a creamier peanut butter if you added a bit more oil than I did. You could also try mixing it for longer.
I would recommend this peanut butter to cook with, it’s delicious for pastas, sauces and I also made bread with it. It’s heavier and chunkier than your store-bought peanut butter so you might not like the strong flavour of the olive oil.
- Use another type of oil, like almond oil if you don’t like the strong flavour of the olive oil
- Mix it with tahini to make a favoured humus base
- Mix it with cayenne pepper and use just a bit on a cracker with cheese
- Mix it with cinnamon and skip the salt and spread it thinly on a cheese cracker or biscuit
- Mix it with cocoa to make a chocolately pastry filling
Have you ever made your own peanut butter? What recipe did you use?